If you have been involved in a serious accident that has ultimately left you facing an amputation, the emotions you are experiencing will be many. While your current situation may be less-than-ideal and currently causing you to question your future, technology has come a far way and many amputees have the same chance at living a happy, healthy and successful life in California as anyone else.
One of the most difficult aspects of your amputation may be the surgical procedure itself. According to Premier Prosthetics, it is going to take time to adjust to your new situation, as well as caring for your body. Some of the things you can do to ensure that you continue to progress include the following:
- Be consistent about doing the therapy exercises you are taught. When relaxing, keep your residual limb as straight as you can.
- Allow yourself time to recover and relax without creating an additional strain that could prevent you from healing all of the ways.
- Be careful when you are learning to move and transfer yourself between places so that you can learn to do so with safety and confidence.
- Incorporate exercises into your routine that will help you desensitize the area so that you can adequately prepare for the implementation of a prosthetic in the future.
- Learn about your options for prosthetics and be sure that the one you invest in is customized to meet your needs and lifestyle.
The information in this article is intended for educational purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice.