Throughout most of California, motorcycle season is year-round. But as the weather warms up, many more bikers come out in droves to enjoy the open air and freedom of the road.
However, some of these enthusiasts may be bringing out their bikes for the first time in months. This is why it is so important for you and your bike to be prepared. There are a few things that you should consider doing.
Give your bike a thorough check-up
Here are some of the initial steps to take at the beginning of motorcycle season:
- Prepare your bike: Maintenance of your bike is essential if you are bringing it out for the first time after months of storage. Check the tires and wheels, brakes, battery, chain alignment and controls. Look for any leaks, too.
- Update your insurance policy: If you have suspended certain coverage while not riding your bike, it is a good idea to reinstate full coverage for motorcycle season.
- Enroll in a motorcycle safety class: Perhaps you have been away from riding your bike for a few years. Even though you are an experienced biker, it would not hurt you to take a refresher course in safety. By taking the class, you also may qualify for a discount with your insurer.
- Make sure you have the right protective gear: In California, all riders and their passengers must wear a helmet by law. Clothing made from leather or heavy denim also are recommended, along with durable boots and shoes that cover the ankles as well as reliable gloves.
- Ease into your first rides: No need to go full throttle from the start. Consider taking some rides in the neighborhood before making a highway excursion. At the same time, you need to get a good feel for your bike after it has been out of action for so long. You will be able to sense if something is not working right. Also, you, too, need to get back into riding shape.
It is time to get back into the groove, so follow these tips and focus on safety.
Enjoy a safe ride
The warmer weather brings out the biker brethren in California. Understand the importance of preparing your bike and yourself for motorcycle season. That way you can enjoy adventurous and safe rides.